This Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp combines tart rhubarb with sweet, delicious strawberries and is topped with a crunchy oat crust. The contrasting flavors and textures make this meal a crowd-pleaser, whether served warm from the oven or chilled as a cool summer treat.
This crisp is a feast for the eyes and the taste buds thanks to the bright crimson colors of the juicy strawberries and the thin, lively rhubarb stalks. Each bite is a delicious blend of acidity and sweetness, with the oat crumble topping providing a soothing crunch.
This recipe uses only the freshest ingredients, mixing the natural sweetness of strawberries with the tartness of rhubarb to create a flavor profile that is both sweet and tangy. Brown sugar and vanilla essence complement the richness, while sea salt lends a slight note of salty balance.
This Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp is sure to wow whether you're arranging a family party, a potluck, or want to treat yourself to a delicious dessert. So gather your ingredients, preheat your oven, and prepare to enjoy this classic dessert!
Want to learn how to make this Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp? Then keep on reading.
Table of Contents
- What is Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp?
- What Makes This Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp Recipe Special?
- What You Need to Make Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp at Home
- How to Make Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp (Step-by-Step)
- Tips for Making the Best Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp Ever
- Recipe Variation Ideas for Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
- How to Store Leftover Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
- Similar Recipes You'll Love
- Printable Card
What is Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp?
Strawberry rhubarb crisp is a traditional dessert made with delicious strawberries and sour rhubarb in a baked dish with a crispy, crumbly topping. It is a popular recipe throughout the spring and summer months when strawberries and rhubarb are both in season.
The mix of tasty strawberries and tart rhubarb provides a delicious flavor contrast. The crunchy topping offers a lovely texture that contrasts with the tenderness of the fruit filling. It can be served warm or cold, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream.
Strawberry rhubarb crisp is a versatile dessert that can be served alone or with other dishes. It's a great way to highlight the bright flavors of fresh seasonal fruits and a delicious way to finish any meal.
What Makes This Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp Recipe Special?
Delicious flavor combination: This strawberry rhubarb crisp recipe offers a perfect balance of sweet strawberries and tangy rhubarb, resulting in a mouthwatering and irresistible flavor combination that will satisfy your taste buds.
Easy to make: With straightforward instructions and readily available ingredients, this recipe is easy to follow and requires minimal effort. Whether you're an experienced baker or a beginner, you can successfully create this delectable dessert without hassle.
Versatile: The recipe allows for the use of homegrown strawberries and rhubarb, which not only adds a fresh and wholesome touch but also provides flexibility to adjust the sweetness and tartness levels to suit your preferences.
What You Need to Make Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp at Home
All you need are some simple, pantry staple ingredients to make this strawberry rhubarb crisp at home. Let's look at them in more detail:
- Strawberries: Strawberries give the crisp a rush of sweetness and a brilliant red color, complementing the sharpness of the rhubarb. Their luscious texture and natural scent give the dessert a summertime taste.
- Rhubarb: The strawberry rhubarb crisp's tartness balances the strawberries' sweetness. Also, the fibrous nature of the rhubarb breaks down when it's baked, making it soft and melt-in-your-mouth.
- All-purpose flour: Flour acts as a binding agent, resulting in a crumbly texture that provides a wonderful crunch to each bite. Also, the strawberry-rhubarb fluids released after baking are absorbed by the flour, thickening the fruit filling.
- Unsalted butter: Butter gives the crisp a silky texture and rich flavor. The crisp's crumbly texture comes from butter melting and binding the dry ingredients into clusters.
- Rolled oats: The oats give the crisp a lovely texture and nutty flavor, providing a pleasing contrast to the soft fruit filling.
- Brown sugar: Brown sugar enhances the flavor profile of the strawberry rhubarb crisp by adding a rich, caramel-like sweetness.
- Salt: The crisp tastes better with a bit of salt to temper the sweetness. Salt balances sweetness and enhances the natural tastes of fruits and other components, creating a more pleasant dessert.
- Xanthan gum: The xanthan gum in the strawberry-rhubarb crisp helps to thicken the fruit filling so that it stays together and tastes great.
- Sugar: Sugar sweetens the crisp, complementing the fruit filling and balancing the tartness.
- Vanilla extract: Pure vanilla extract enhances the overall flavor profile of the strawberry rhubarb crisp by adding a faint yet aromatic accent.
How to Make Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp (Step-by-Step)
Making this delicious Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp is easier than you think. Here's how to make them at home step by step:
First, combine sugar and Xanthan gum in a bowl and set it aside for later.
Next, rinse and chop the strawberries and rhubarb into half-inch square chunks (about one cm).
Pour the sugar/gum mixture over the strawberry and rhubarbs then mix together. Then, add vanilla and mix once more to combine. Set aside until ready for use.
Preheat your oven to 350 F (180 C). In a separate medium bowl, sift flour and add the butter cut into cubes. Using a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the flour until everything is well incorporated and crumbly.
Add the rest of the dry ingredients, rolled oats, brown sugar, and sea salt, and mix everything well to combine.
Finally, transfer the strawberry/rhubarb mixture onto a large ceramic baking pan. Sprinkle the rolled oats/flour mixture evenly over the top.
Bake the Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp in a preheated oven at 350 F (180 C) for 50 - 60 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool for a couple of hours before serving.
Your delicious Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp is ready to be served!
Once the crisp has cooled to warm, serve it with French vanilla ice cream. As long as strawberries are the frontrunner of the dessert, you will surely watch it disappear. Indeed, it is so, so good! Trust me!
Tips for Making the Best Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp Ever
Adjust sweetness: Taste the strawberries and rhubarb before adding sugar to determine their natural sweetness and tartness. Adjust the amount of sugar accordingly to achieve the desired level of sweetness in the final dish.
Use cold butter: When preparing the crisp topping, make sure the butter is cold and cut it into small cubes. Incorporating cold butter into the dry ingredients will result in a crumbly texture that creates those desirable crispy clusters.
Add a touch of cinnamon: For a hint of warmth and extra flavor, consider adding a teaspoon of ground cinnamon to the crisp topping. It pairs wonderfully with the strawberries and rhubarb.
Recipe Variation Ideas for Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
- Nutty: Add chopped nuts, such as almonds, pecans, or walnuts, to the crisp topping for an extra crunch and a nutty flavor. Sprinkle them over the top before baking.
- Tangy: Incorporate the zest of a lemon or an orange into the fruit filling to add a citrusy twist. The bright flavors will complement the strawberries and rhubarb beautifully.
- Spiced: Enhance the warm flavors by adding spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, or ginger to the fruit filling. Sprinkle a teaspoon or two of your preferred spices over the fruit before adding the topping.
How to Store Leftover Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
Once the Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp has cooled, wrap it in plastic wrap or store it in an airtight container. To keep the crisp fresh and flavorful, store it in the fridge for up to 3 days.
The crisp can also be frozen for up to 3 months. If you’re planning on freezing it, make sure to let it cool completely before storing it in an airtight, freezer-safe container. When ready to serve, thaw the crisp overnight in the fridge and reheat it in the oven or microwave.
Similar Recipes You'll Love
- Easy Strawberry Topping Sauce Recipe
- Raspberry Almond Linzer Cookies Recipe
- Redcurrant Scones Recipe
- No Bake Strawberry Oreo Cheesecake Recipe
- Hawaiian Zucchini Muffins Recipe
Classic Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp (Perfect Summer Recipe!)
- 3 lbs. - homegrown strawberries
- 2 lbs. - homegrown rhubarb
- 1 cup - organic All-purpose flour
- 6 oz. - unsalted butter
- 3 cups - rolled oats
- ½ cup - brown sugar
- ½ tsp. - sea salt
- 1 tsp. - Xanthan gum (for thickening)
- ½ cup – organic sugar
- 1 tsp. - pure vanilla extract
How to Make Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
- First, combine sugar and Xanthan gum in a bowl and set it aside for later.
- Next, rinse and chop the strawberries and rhubarb into half-inch square chunks (about one cm).
- Pour the sugar/gum mixture over the strawberry and rhubarbs then mix together. Then, add vanilla and mix once more to combine. Set aside until ready for use.
- Preheat your oven to 350 ℉. In a separate medium bowl, sift flour and add the butter cut into cubes. Using a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the flour until everything is well incorporated and crumbly.
- Add the rest of the dry ingredients, rolled oats, brown sugar, and sea salt, and mix everything well to combine.
- Finally, transfer the strawberry/rhubarb mixture onto a large ceramic baking pan. Sprinkle the rolled oats/flour mixture evenly over the top.
- Bake the Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp in a preheated oven at 350 ℉ for 50 - 60 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool for a couple of hours before serving.