This Canned Plum Juice recipe will give you the tastiest plum juice that’s free of any preservatives, toxins, or chemicals and can easily be stored at home! It’s super fresh and delicious!
I grew up canning different kinds of fruits with my mom and still enjoy doing it to this day. I remember, as a little girl, watching my grandma canning all sorts of fruits and vegetables.
This work seemed so important, that I thought she was a genius. As I watched her sort, wash the produce, divide them between jars, fill, flavor, and cook the jars, I was simply amazed.
And so, the technique for canning plum juice that I’ll share with you today is something that has been passed on to me by my grandmother and I’ve grown up watching it. It’s incredibly easy and gives perfect results every single time! I’ve been doing this myself for decades now!
There are a huge variety of juices in the grocery stores, but calling it juice (with all its infused toxins) is highly generous. Nothing beats the taste and safety of freshly opened home-canned juice.
Then, all you need is to dilute with water to your preferred sweetness, add some canned plums into your glass of juice, and enjoy! Oh, how tasty it is. You will not be buying juice from the store ever again! Organic, clean, and refreshing!
With just a few ingredients and a little bit of time, you can create a delicious and vibrant juice that can be enjoyed throughout the year.
Whether you prefer the tartness of red plums or the sweetness of yellow ones, the choice is yours, as both varieties can be used interchangeably in this recipe.
Want to learn how to make this canned plum juice recipe? Then keep on reading.
Table of Contents
- What is Canned Plum Juice?
- What Makes This Plum Juice Recipe Special?
- What You Need to Make Plum Juice at Home
- How to Make Canned Plum Juice (Step-by-Step)
- Tips for Making the Best Canned Plum Juice Ever
- Serving Suggestions for Canned Plum Juice
- Recipe Variation Ideas for Canned Plum Juice
- Frequently Asked Questions
- How to Store Leftover Canned Plum Juice
- Printable Card
What is Canned Plum Juice?
Canned plum juice is a type of beverage that is made from plums that have been juiced and preserved in cans. It is a convenient and tasty option for consuming plum juice, as it can be stored for longer periods without spoiling.
One of the benefits of canned plum juice is its high nutritional content. Plums are rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, which can help boost the immune system and support overall health. Plum juice is also known for its potential health benefits, such as aiding digestion, promoting hydration, and supporting heart health.
Plus, it has a naturally sweet and tangy taste, which can be enjoyed on its own or used as a base for cocktails, smoothies, or other mixed drinks.
What’s best is that this is super easy to make and is absolutely free of any toxins, chemicals, or preservatives making it a healthy and delicious choice for everyone in the family. Trust me, you’re going to love it!
What Makes This Plum Juice Recipe Special?
Easy to make: This recipe for canned plum juice is incredibly simple and straightforward, making it a breeze to whip up.
Versatile: Not only is this recipe delicious on its own but it can also be used as a base for other drinks or cocktails.
Delicious: The taste of this plum juice is unmatched, with the tartness of the plums perfectly balanced by a hint of sweetness.
Crowd-pleaser: Whether you’re serving plum juice at a party or just enjoying it at home, this recipe is sure to impress and satisfy everyone’s taste buds.
Health benefits: In addition to being incredibly tasty, it is also packed with nutrients and antioxidants, making it a great choice for a refreshing and healthy beverage.
Chemical-free: Although there’s a huge variety of juices available in grocery stores, calling them juice is highly generous. Nothing truly beats the taste and safety of freshly opened home-canned juice!
What You Need to Make Plum Juice at Home
All you need are some simple pantry staple ingredients to make this canned plum juice recipe at home. Let's look at them in more detail:
- Plums: We will be needing some plums. I've personally used Damson plums to make this recipe. They will provide a tart and juicy flavor, adding a burst of fruity goodness to your dish.
- Cold water: We will also need some cold water which will help in creating a refreshing and hydrating base for our delicious juice.
- Sugar: Next, we will need some sugar. It will sweeten the plums and help to balance out their tartness, resulting in a deliciously sweet and tangy flavor.
- Canning jars: We will need some canning jars as well, in particular 7 wide-mouth quart-size (946 ml or 1 L). They will allow us to preserve and store the plum creation for future enjoyment, making sure that it stays delicious and fresh.
- Stove-top Waterbath Canner Pot: We will also need a stove-top water bath canner pot. It will provide a controlled and even heat distribution, allowing the plums to cook and preserve perfectly.
How to Make Canned Plum Juice (Step-by-Step)
Making this incredible canned plum juice is easier than you think. Here's how to make them at home step by step:
Begin by rinsing the plums and setting them aside.
Prepare the syrup by adding sugar to a medium pot along with water.
Stir the mixture and bring it to a boil, making sure that all the sugar granules dissolve. Once it reaches a boil, remove it from heat and set it aside to cool.
Now, it is time to pack the plums into jars. Try to pack them in as tightly as possible to maximize space. Once the jars are packed, pour the cooled syrup into each jar, filling them to the top.
Place 3 or 4 jars into a stove-top water bath canner pot, depending on the size of your canner. Fill the pot with cold water until the jars are submerged about ¾ of the way.
Bring the water in the canning pot to a boil. You will know it is boiling when you see bubbles floating from the bottom to the top of the jars. Let the water in the canning pot boil for approximately 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes, use your bare hands to screw the lids tightly onto the jars. Make sure they are screwed on properly and not sideways. Be cautious of the hot jars to avoid burning your hands.
Once the lids are secured, use canning gloves or a canning utensil to carefully remove the jars from the pot. Flip each jar upside down and allow them to cool in this position. It is recommended to leave them overnight in this position to guarantee a proper seal.
Drain the water from the canning pot and repeat the same process with the remaining jars of plums.
Your delicious Plum Juice is ready!
Tips for Making the Best Canned Plum Juice Ever
Choose ripe plums: When selecting plums for this recipe, choose ones that are ripe but not overly soft. Ripe plums will have a sweet and juicy flavor that will enhance the taste of the juice.
Wash plums thoroughly: Before using the plums, make sure to wash them thoroughly under cold water to remove any dirt or residue. This will help in making sure that the juice is clean and safe to consume.
Chill before serving: For the best flavor and refreshment, chill the plum juice in the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving. This will allow the flavors to meld together and the juice to become cold and refreshing.
Serving Suggestions for Canned Plum Juice
- Enjoy the canned plum juice on its own as a refreshing and hydrating beverage. Serve it chilled with ice cubes for a cooling effect on hot summer days.
- Mix the plum juice with sparkling water or soda for a fizzy and fruity drink. Add a slice of lemon or lime for an extra burst of citrus flavor.
- Use the plum juice as a base for cocktails. Combine it with vodka, gin, or rum for a fruity twist on classic drinks like a plum mojito or plum martini.
- Create a plum-infused smoothie by blending the canned plum juice with fresh or frozen fruits like bananas, berries, and mangoes. Add a spoonful of yogurt or a splash of milk for a creamier texture.
- Incorporate the plum juice into your cooking by using it as a marinade for meats like chicken or pork. The natural sweetness of the plums will add a delicious flavor to your dishes.
Recipe Variation Ideas for Canned Plum Juice
This delicious canned plum juice recipe is absolutely perfect as is, but if you're looking to change things up, here are a few variation ideas you can try:
Spiced: Add a cinnamon stick and a few cloves to the recipe to give plum juice a warm and spicy flavor. Simmer the spices with the plums and water, then strain before serving.
Ginger: Add a few slices of fresh ginger to the plum juice for a zesty and refreshing twist. Simmer the ginger with the plums and water, then strain and serve chilled.
Mint: Add a handful of fresh mint leaves to the plum juice for a cool and refreshing flavor. Blend the mint leaves with the plums and water, then strain and serve over ice.
Lemon: Add the juice of a lemon to plum juice for an amazing citrusy taste. Squeeze the lemon juice into the plum mixture before simmering, then strain and serve chilled.
Honey: Add a tablespoon of honey to the plum juice for a touch of sweetness. Simply stir honey into the plum mixture after straining, then serve over ice.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does it take to make canned plum juice?
The process of making canned plum juice can take 45 minutes, depending on how many plums you are using and the equipment you have available.
Can I use any type of plums for this recipe?
Yes, you can use any type of plums for this recipe. However, keep in mind that different varieties of plums may result in slightly different flavors and colors of the juice.
Do I need to peel the plums before juicing them?
It is not necessary to peel the plums before juicing them. The skins of the plums contain valuable nutrients and add flavor to the juice. However, if you prefer a smoother texture, you can peel the plums before juicing.
How to Store Leftover Canned Plum Juice
You can store your properly canned plum juice for up to 1 year if stored unopened in a cool, dark place like the pantry or the refrigerator.
Once you open the can, refrigerate it and make sure to consume it within 5 to 7 days. It tastes delicious as is or with some of the delicious variations and serving suggestions I’ve mentioned above.
Canned Plum Juice Recipe
For Plum Juice
- 8 lbs. – Damson plums
- 11 cups – cold water
- 3 cups - sugar
- 7 wide mouth quart size – canning jars
- Stove Top Waterbath Canner pot
How to Make Canned Plum Juice
- Begin by rinsing the plums and setting them aside.
- Prepare the syrup by adding sugar to a medium pot along with water.
- Stir the mixture and bring it to a boil, making sure that all the sugar granules dissolve. Once it reaches a boil, remove it from heat and set it aside to cool.
- Now, it is time to pack the plums into jars. Try to pack them in as tightly as possible to maximize space. Once the jars are packed, pour the cooled syrup into each jar, filling them to the top.
- Place 3 or 4 jars into a stove-top water bath canner pot, depending on the size of your canner. Fill the pot with cold water until the jars are submerged about ¾ of the way.
- Bring the water in the canning pot to a boil. You will know it is boiling when you see bubbles floating from the bottom to the top of the jars. Let the water in the canning pot boil for approximately 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, use your bare hands to screw the lids tightly onto the jars. Make sure they are screwed on properly and not sideways. Be cautious of the hot jars to avoid burning your hands.
- Once the lids are secured, use canning gloves or a canning utensil to carefully remove the jars from the pot. Flip each jar upside down and allow them to cool in this position. It is recommended to leave them overnight in this position to guarantee a proper seal.
- Drain the water from the canning pot and repeat the same process with the remaining jars of plums.
- Your delicious Plum Juice is ready!