Are you still harvesting zucchini? If your zucchini plants are still blessing you with an abundance, there are plenty of delicious ways to use them. These Zucchini Pancakes are a wonderful way to enjoy the abundance of your garden-fresh zucchini.
They are golden and crisp on the outside and soft and moist on the inside. The addition of fresh garlic adds a savory, robust kick. There's so much flavor in these pancakes, you just can't stop enjoying them.
These delightful creations offer a refreshing twist on traditional pancakes, incorporating the delicate flavors and nutritional benefits of zucchini.
Don't be discouraged if the overabundance of zucchini is falling out of favor with kids because they'll love these tasty, healthy veggie pancakes! This recipe is very much similar to classic potato pancakes and unbelievably easy to make.
The trick to making pancakes turn out crisp and not soggy is to drain the water out of the grated zucchini before mixing it with the other ingredients. Sauté them in oil for a couple of minutes per side and voila! Our favorite way to enjoy these vegetable pancakes is with a dollop of sour cream. Trust me, you're going to love them.
Want to learn how to make Zucchini Pancakes? Then keep on reading!
Table of Contents
- What are Zucchini Pancakes?
- What Makes This Zucchini Pancakes Recipe Special?
- What You Need to Make Zucchini Pancakes at Home
- How to Make Zucchini Pancakes (Step-by-Step)
- Tips for Making the Best Zucchini Pancakes Ever
- Recipe Variation Ideas for Zucchini Pancakes
- Frequently Asked Questions for Zucchini Pancakes
- How to Store Leftover Zucchini Pancakes
- Printable Card
What are Zucchini Pancakes?
Zucchini pancakes or zucchini fritters are savory pancakes cooked mostly with grated zucchini and other ingredients. They may be used as a side dish or a light supper and are a fantastic way to eat zucchini.
Usually, a batter is made using grated zucchini, garlic, eggs, flour, salt, and pepper. The pancakes are then pan-fried in a little olive oil until the outsides are crisp and brown.
A dipping sauce, such as sour cream, yogurt, or tzatziki sauce, is often served with zucchini pancakes. They can also be eaten as part of a breakfast spread or with a side salad. These pancakes are a delicious option for vegetarians or anybody seeking a vegetable-based dish. They are a terrific way to include zucchini in your meals.
What Makes This Zucchini Pancakes Recipe Special?
Healthy: Zucchini pancakes are a great way to sneak extra vegetables into your diet. They're full of vitamins A and C, potassium, and dietary fiber.
Easy: These pancakes are no more difficult to make than potato pancakes or regular pancakes. With just a few ingredients and low prep time, they're a great quick breakfast or snack!
Moist: Adding zucchini will do more than just make it healthy and great tasting. They also add moisture to the pancake batter, making them deliciously fluffy on the inside.
What You Need to Make Zucchini Pancakes at Home
All you need are some simple, pantry staple ingredients to make these delicious Zucchini Pancakes at home. Let's look at them in more detail:
- Zucchini: Use store-bought zucchini or any you might have left over from the garden. They're healthy and add great natural moisture to these pancakes.
- Eggs: We'll use an egg or two to add a rich taste and texture to our pancakes. They also add a little moisture in addition to the zucchinis.
- Garlic: The mild, punget, slightly spicy taste of garlic is the perfect complement to zucchini. It adds a savory component to balance out some of the vegetable's sweetness.
- Salt: We just need a pinch of salt to taste and bring out the flavors of the other ingredients. Try to use sea salt if you have some on hand!
- Black pepper: The other seasoning we'll be using is black pepper. Use freshly ground black pepper for the most robust taste.
- All-purpose flour: Lastly, we need some all-purpose flour to use as the base of our batter. Any flour will do, but I personally like to use organic flour.
How to Make Zucchini Pancakes (Step-by-Step)
Making these delicious zucchini pancakes is easier than you think. Here's how to make them at home step by step:
Start by rinsing two large zucchinis. Grate them using a box grater, then transfer the grated zucchini into a strainer to drain the excess juice.
Discard the juice if you have no other use for it and transfer the drained grated zucchini back into the bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients, i.e. egg, flour, salt, and black pepper.
Using a hand mixer, mix everything together until well combined.
Heat a skillet to medium-low temperature. Place a heaping tablespoon of zucchini pancake mix in four separate circles and sauté them for about 3 minutes per side or until golden brown in color.
Note: The mix is not like a regular pancake mix and will not sponge up like you may be used to, which is fine. So, for peace of mind, I prefer sautéing these pancakes for a slightly longer period of time at a lower temperature to ensure they cook thoroughly. Then adjust the heat as desired.
They taste the best hot-warm, so I recommend serving them up immediately after removing them from the skillet.
Your delicious Zucchini Pancakes are ready to be served!
Tips for Making the Best Zucchini Pancakes Ever
Draining excess oil: After cooking, transfer the pancakes to a paper towel-lined plate or wire rack to drain any excess oil. This step helps remove any residual oil and keeps the pancakes light and less greasy.
Salting the zucchini: After grating the zucchini, sprinkle it with a little salt and let it sit for about 10 minutes. This helps draw out excess moisture from the zucchini. Afterward, squeeze out the moisture before adding it to the batter.
Adjusting the batter consistency: Depending on the moisture content of the zucchini, you may need to adjust the batter consistency. If the batter appears too wet, add a little more flour to thicken it.
Recipe Variation Ideas for Zucchini Pancakes
These delicious Zucchini Pancakes are absolutely perfect as is, but if you're looking to change things up here are a few variation ideas you can try:
Cheese: Add grated cheese, such as Parmesan, cheddar, or feta, to the batter for extra flavor and a creamy texture. Around ½ cup of cheese should suffice, but you can adjust the amount according to your taste.
Herbs and spices: Incorporate herbs and spices to enhance the flavor profile. Fresh herbs like dill, parsley, or basil work well. You can also experiment with spices like paprika, cumin, or chili powder to add a kick.
Gluten-free option: Substitute the all-purpose flour with gluten-free flour blends, such as almond flour, chickpea flour, or a gluten-free all-purpose flour mix, to make the pancakes gluten-free.
Frequently Asked Questions for Zucchini Pancakes
Can I Use Larger Zucchinis Instead Of Small Ones?
Yes, you can use larger zucchini for this recipe. Keep in mind that larger zucchinis tend to have more moisture, so you may need to squeeze out excess liquid after grating them to prevent the batter from becoming too watery.
Can I Substitute the All-purpose Flour with a Gluten-free Alternative?
Yes, you can substitute all-purpose flour with a gluten-free flour blend. Look for a gluten-free flour mix that is suitable for pancakes or baking. Keep in mind that different gluten-free flours may absorb moisture differently, so you may need to adjust the amount of flour or add a binding agent like xanthan gum to the batter.
Can I Make the Batter Ahead of Time and Refrigerate It?
It is best to cook the zucchini pancakes immediately after preparing the batter. The zucchini releases moisture over time, which can make the batter watery if left to sit for too long. However, if you need to prepare the batter in advance, you can refrigerate it for a short period of time (up to a few hours) and give it a quick stir before cooking.
Can I Freeze the Zucchini Pancakes?
Yes, you can freeze the cooked zucchini pancakes for later use. Allow them to cool completely, then place them in an airtight container or freezer bags, separating each pancake with parchment paper to prevent sticking. When ready to eat, thaw them in the refrigerator overnight and reheat in a skillet or toaster oven until heated through.
Can I Add Other Vegetables or Ingredients to the Zucchini Pancake Batter?
Absolutely! Zucchini pancakes can be a canvas for creativity. Feel free to experiment by adding grated carrots, finely chopped onions, bell peppers, or herbs like dill or parsley to the batter. Just keep in mind that adding extra vegetables may affect the texture and moisture content of the pancakes, so adjust the amount of flour if needed.
Can I Make Zucchini Pancakes Without Eggs for a Vegan Version?
Yes, you can try making vegan zucchini pancakes by using a suitable egg substitute like flaxseed meal mixed with water or mashed banana. Keep in mind that the texture and binding properties may vary slightly, so the pancakes might be a bit more delicate. Plus, choose a vegan-friendly flour and make sure any other ingredients used are also vegan.
How to Store Leftover Zucchini Pancakes
To store leftover zucchini pancakes, allow them to cool down completely before transferring them to an airtight container.
Place a sheet of wax or parchment paper between each layer of pancakes. This will prevent them from sticking together and becoming soggy over time.
Store the pancakes in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When ready to enjoy the leftovers, reheat the pancakes in the skillet over medium-low heat until warmed through.
You can also freeze them for up to 1 month! When ready to eat, thaw them in the refrigerator overnight and reheat in a skillet or toaster oven until heated through.
Watch the YouTube Video Below on How to Make Zucchini Pancakes Recipe
If you enjoyed this video, please Subscribe to my YouTube channel, be sure to click the Bell icon so you can be the first to know of a new video release!
Check out more recipes for homegrown produce HERE.
Classic Zucchini Pancakes (Delicious and Nutritious!)
- 2 small – homegrown zucchini
- 2 small – homegrown garlic
- 1 large – home egg
- 1 tsp. – sea salt (or to taste)
- ⅛ tsp. – freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup – organic all-purpose flour
- Extra virgin Olive oil for sautéing
Zucchini Pancakes Recipe Ingredients
How to Make Zucchini Pancakes (Step-by-Step)
- Making these delicious zucchini pancakes is easier than you think. Here's how to make them at home step by step:
- Start by rinsing two large zucchinis. Grate them using a box grater, then transfer the grated zucchini into a strainer to drain the excess juice.
- Discard the juice if you have no other use for it and transfer the drained grated zucchini back into the bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients, i.e. egg, flour, salt, and black pepper.
- Using a hand mixer, mix everything together until well combined.
- Heat a skillet to medium-low temperature. Place a heaping tablespoon of zucchini pancake mix in four separate circles and sauté them for about 3 minutes per side or until golden brown in color.
- Note: The mix is not like a regular pancake mix and will not sponge up like you may be used to, which is fine. So, for peace of mind, I prefer sautéing these pancakes for a slightly longer period of time at a lower temperature to ensure they cook thoroughly. Then adjust the heat as desired.
- They taste the best hot-warm, so I recommend serving them up immediately after removing them from the skillet.
- Your delicious Zucchini Pancakes are ready to be served!